[mythtv-users] Troubleshooting Help Needed

Russ Chambliss, Jr. russchambliss at gmail.com
Thu May 7 16:54:48 UTC 2009

I need some help diagnosing whats wrong in a myth box that has overheated.

I came home the other day to what an overheating alarm coming from my box.
I shut the computer down and let everything cool, then tried to reboot.  I
was able to get the computer up to the Mythtv main screen but it would
freeze at that point.  I shut everything down again and took out all the tv
cards and tried to reboot  I was able to get to the desktop a couple of
times, and the computer would tell me to reconfigure the tvcards, but then
shortly after it would freeze.  Now it will boot to the loading screen for
Knoppmyth then the screen jumps and goes "funky" for lack of a better
description and the computer freezes.   Ive tried to boot from a Ubuntu Live
CD and the same thing happens, so Im pretty sure the HD is not the problem.
I did get memtest86 up and running from a CD and that went through fine, so
I think the Memory is ok.

The thing that is throwing me off is that i can get it booted up partially.
I'm guessing that this means that as the computer boots it is putting more
strain on whatever component is broken and causing the freeze. I figure its
got to be one of the following causing the problem:
1) the motherboard is failing all together
2) the graphics card portion of the motherboard is failing,
3) the power supply is going bad
4) the CPU is going bad.

I sould be able to test out the powersupply by swapping it with another
computer, but does anyone suggestions on how to test out the other
components, and any other suggestions on what the issue could be?

Here are my specs:
Abit AN-M2HD
CPU AMD|A64 3200+
Kingston 1Gig DDR2 800
Seagate 500GB HD
Onboard VGA Video - GeForce7050PV/ nForce630a
Hauppauge HRV-1600
Hauppauge PVR -150
KnoppMyth R5.5
430 Watt Powersupply