[mythtv-users] Troubleshooting Help Needed

Marc Randolph mrand at pobox.com
Thu May 7 17:16:24 UTC 2009

On Thu, May 7, 2009 at 11:54 AM, Russ Chambliss, Jr.
<russchambliss at gmail.com> wrote:
> I need some help diagnosing whats wrong in a myth box that has overheated.
>
> I came home the other day to what an overheating alarm coming from my box.
> I shut the computer down and let everything cool, then tried to reboot.  I
> was able to get the computer up to the Mythtv main screen but it would
> freeze at that point.  I shut everything down again and took out all the tv
> cards and tried to reboot  I was able to get to the desktop a couple of
> times, and the computer would tell me to reconfigure the tvcards, but then
> shortly after it would freeze.  Now it will boot to the loading screen for
> Knoppmyth then the screen jumps and goes "funky" for lack of a better
> description and the computer freezes.   Ive tried to boot from a Ubuntu Live
> CD and the same thing happens, so Im pretty sure the HD is not the problem.
> I did get memtest86 up and running from a CD and that went through fine, so
> I think the Memory is ok.
>
> The thing that is throwing me off is that i can get it booted up partially.
> I'm guessing that this means that as the computer boots it is putting more
> strain on whatever component is broken and causing the freeze. I figure its
> got to be one of the following causing the problem:
> 1) the motherboard is failing all together
> 2) the graphics card portion of the motherboard is failing,
> 3) the power supply is going bad
> 4) the CPU is going bad.
>
> I sould be able to test out the powersupply by swapping it with another
> computer, but does anyone suggestions on how to test out the other
> components, and any other suggestions on what the issue could be?
>
> Here are my specs:
> Abit AN-M2HD
> CPU AMD|A64 3200+
> Kingston 1Gig DDR2 800
> Seagate 500GB HD
> Onboard VGA Video - GeForce7050PV/ nForce630a
> Hauppauge HRV-1600
> Hauppauge PVR -150
> KnoppMyth R5.5
> 430 Watt Powersupply

Two words: freeze spray

Power the system on and then pick different items to spray at periodic
intervals (you don't need to do a constant spray).  Repeat with
different sections as necessary.  You can create funnels/dams with
cardboard, paper, non-static bags, or non-static hard foam fillers
that come in graphics card boxes to direct the spray towards or away
from various items.

My wild guess (and it's just that) is that it is the motherboard or
CPU.  Unless you have a cheap power supply, I'd expect it to survive
an overheating event better than anything else in the system.  In my
opinion, DRAM isn't as delicate as other things on the motherboard, so
it wouldn't be my first thing to try... well, except that it is so
easy (and now-a-days, cheap) to try.

Good luck!

   Marc