[mythtv-users] Grub won't load my menu.lst file

Jim Stichnoth stichnot at gmail.com
Fri May 8 00:17:01 UTC 2009

On Thu, May 7, 2009 at 2:36 PM, Robin Hill <myth at robinhill.me.uk> wrote:
> On Thu May 07, 2009 at 09:44:15AM -0700, Jim Stichnoth wrote:
>
>> I replaced my backend machine's boot disk with a larger drive, and now
>> grub refuses to automatically load linux at boot time.  Instead, it
>> gives me the grub command line, and I can type "configfile
>> /grub/menu.lst" and everything boots fine from there.  The original
>> drive gives me the MythDora 5 splash screen and autoboots after 5
>> seconds.  Any ideas?
>>
> <-SNIP->
>>  Running "install /boot/grub/stage1 (hd0) (hd0)1+16 p (hd0,0)/boot/grub/stage2
>> /boot/grub/grub.conf"... succeeded
>> Done.
>>
>> Any suggestions?
>>
> The snippet above shows that grub is looking for /boot/grub/grub.conf as
> the default menu file.  This is relative to the boot partition (this
> looks to be separate from your root partition), so you'll need:
>    A symlink pointing /boot/boot to /boot itself (ln -snf /boot/boot .)
>    The menu file as /boot/grub/grub.conf
>
> For compatibility, you'll probably also want a symlink pointing
> /boot/grub/menu.lst to /boot/grub/grub.conf

Thanks!  That led me to the solution.  For some reason, in addition to
/boot/grub/*, I had another directory structure /boot/boot/grub/*.
Except that this other grub directory didn't contain a menu.lst file.
As you noted, the grub install was picking up this other directory
instead of the one I expected.  It was probably left over from a
previous fumbling attempt to do something with grub.  I just removed
the bad directory structure, and grub found the right one, and
everything works now.

(By the way, menu.lst was already a symlink to grub.conf.)

Jim