[mythtv-users] MythTV + uPnP + PS3 = no joy

sonofzev at iinet.net.au sonofzev at iinet.net.au
Fri May 8 04:58:09 UTC 2009

On Fri May  8 14:43 , Raymond Wagner  sent:

>> (I'm probably gonna get flamed here but....)
>> What about loading a linux distro onto the PS3 and installing Myth on to the
>> linux distro.. that way you can still use the Ps3 hardware?
>(And the rant begins...)
>While the PS3 has a massive amount of floating point performance through
>the SPEs, the libraries MythTV uses will all run on the single PPC
>core.  While it runs at 3.2GHz, it is a stripped down, in-order Power
>chip.  I don't even know if it has enough power to do HD MPEG2.
>
>There does exist a project (spumedia) that intends to offload video
>decoding to the SPEs, however their is a distinct lack of information
>about it.  As far as I can tell, they have support for video scalers,
>colorspace conversion, and iDCT offload to be done on the SPEs.  That
>puts it between Xv and XvMC in terms of capability.
>)

That makes sense.
Greg, I thought I'd get flamed as I was sure this would have been discussed before.
Interesting though, I now know I am definitely not going to get a PS3 and just
hope and pray that the whole copy protection thing goes away so one day I might
be able to play a Blu Ray disc through Myth... although the trends don't look
great..