[mythtv-users] mythfrontend black screen

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Sat May 9 15:54:27 UTC 2009

On Saturday 09 May 2009 09:43:23 Wilfried Kessels wrote:
> Hello,
>

> I'm writing you because when i click < watch TV" on mythfrontend, a black
> screen occur during 15s before return on the main menu.
>
> My Backend and Frontend are on the same computer. Is someone know this
> problem ?

Many things can cause this. The Myth developers wisely utilized a technology
known as "logs" to try and help deal with it :-)

Common causes are failing to specify a location for recordings, or not having
it writable by the Myth user.

If you installed from a Myth Distro make sure you followed instructions
precisely.

Have a look at your log files for some clues as to why you are having this
problem.

Can you make recordings, and can you play them?

To make sure your drivers etc. are working, try cat-ing the output of your PVR
card to a file and playing it with mplayer or the like, this will make sure
your hardware is working.

If you still have problems tell us how you installed the system, and include
the relevant portion of your log files.

LiveTV can be the hardest thing for a Myth system to do, partly because it
utilizes every part of the system, and partly because most Myth users rarely
use it.

--
beww
beww at beww.org