[mythtv-users] Backend crash with malloc(): memory corruption (fast) PLUS Frontend Crash with readStringList: Error, timeout (quick)

David Brodbeck gull at gull.us
Sat May 9 18:53:21 UTC 2009

Allen Edwards wrote:
> I read somewhere that although the error says memory it is usually a
> programming error, a call to memory that is not allocated.

That's the case for segmentation faults, certainly.  I'm not sure about
the memory corruption error.  I've never seen that one before.  I would
think that the only way you could get memory corruption like that would
be through a hardware fault or a bug in the kernel or glibc, but I could
be wrong about that.

A trick I've sometimes used is to remove some of the memory and see if
the problem recurs, to try to narrow it down to a particular set of
DIMMs or DIMM sockets, but of course that only works if your DIMM layout
allows it and you can run on less than the full amount.