[mythtv-users] Watching recorded files on another computer?

Nick Morrott knowledgejunkie at gmail.com
Sat May 9 20:23:51 UTC 2009

On 09/05/2009, Dave Johansen <davejohansen at gmail.com> wrote:
> I am recording OTA ASTC channels and I was wondering if it is possible
>  to copy the recorded .mpg files to another computer (a Windows
>  machine) and watch the files?
>
>  I actually tried doing it, but Windows Media Player says that it can't
>  "play that type of file". The machine will play DVDs and also has a
>  tuner card that watches OTA ATSC, so I don't understand what's going
>  wrong. Any ideas?

If you're copying the raw recording, you are likely be trying to play
a MPEG2 transport stream (TS), so you'll need a TS-aware player - VLC
should be fine for this.

You could also try running MythTV Player (although not sure if it's
still stable for latest 0.21-fixes) which will connect directly to
your backend and play the files on your Windows box. There are details
of the player on the wiki.

Nick

--
Nick Morrott