[mythtv-users] Initial foray into Mythtv

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Sun May 10 19:43:09 UTC 2009

On Sunday 10 May 2009 13:30:27 Matthew Keefe wrote:
> >> Capturing already digitized material requires little CPU, just disk I/O.
> >> The
> >> hardware you describe should be able to play back SD, but probably NOT
> >> HD. You might even need XvMC for SD playback, a 1.8 Ghz. single-core CPU
> >> is pretty slow by modern standards.
>
> I've been reading up on this more (as I should have before buying the new
> card :/ ) and it looks like VDPAU is well liked?  AGP, as I understand it,
> doesn't work with VDPAU, but it looks like BFG makes a PCI card that is
> compliant, the NVIDIA GeForce 8400 GS 512MB PCI.  Do you guys think this
> would be a better choice on this particular system vis-a-vis playing HD or
> at least SD without hiccups?

I don't think it's so much that VDPAU "doesn't work" with AGP, it's just that
no VDPAU-cpable cards are available with an AGP interface. I can't think of
any technical reason it wouldn't work, if you could get such a card.

Remember that VDPAU support is still experimental. You would have to run
trunk, with all that entails, to use it.

This being your forst foray into Myth, you probably want to stick with the
released versions.

A PCI video card will work with VDPAU, but again you'd either have to run
trunk or wait for 0.22. It would allow you to play back HD on your present
system, I'd wait 'till you get more experience with Myth before trying it.

--
beww
beww at beww.org