[mythtv-users] Record both HD and SD versions of shows

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Tue May 12 01:15:40 UTC 2009

On 05/11/2009 05:39 PM, Nick Nobody wrote:
> I have both HD and non-HD capable frontends; would it be possible to make
> MythTV record both versions of a show?

Yep.  You just need 2 different recording rules for it.  Now you may be
thinking, "How in the world do I make 2 different rules for the same
show?"  All you have to do is make the more restrictive rule first (i.e.
the one that says to /only/ record HDTV episodes).  Then, find an SDTV
episode of the show--which will /not/ be marked to record--and select
it.  It will allow you to create a new rule.  Since newer rules take
precedence over older rules when priorities are otherwise equal, you
probably want to decrease the priority of the SDTV rule (to -1 or -3 or
whatever) so that the HDTV rule still matches the HDTV episode.

>  Right now I've got to stick with the
> lowest common denominator which is SD, but it would be nice if I could get
> both.

See, also,
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/312900#312900 for how
to tell Myth to re-record all of your existing recordings in HDTV.

Mike