[mythtv-users] Anyone use a DISH VIP211 and closed captions?

Dan Wilga mythtv-users2 at dwilga-linux1.amherst.edu
Tue May 12 13:19:53 UTC 2009

One way to see if VBI is configured correctly/working at all is to
use the "vbi" utility in ivtv-utils. You can get it here:
http://ivtvdriver.org

You'll find it in the "test" folder, after running "make". In my
case, I called it from the commandline as:

   test/vbi /dev/vbi0

and it immediately started to display CC text. If that doesn't work,
the reason may be either the particular version of IVTV you're using,
since some had bugs regarding VBI, or perhaps you need to tweak the
configuration options in v4l2-ctl.