[mythtv-users] Storage Groups - Disks often get over used when others have free space

David Whyte david.whyte at gmail.com
Wed May 13 23:11:28 UTC 2009

On Thu, May 14, 2009 at 3:57 AM, Michael T. Dean
<mtdean at thirdcontact.com> wrote:

> That works.  You can use the myth_archive_job.pl script to do it.  It's not
> set up to use storage groups, so you'll have to "hard-code" the list of
> directories and free-space information at the top.  The only thing I'd
> change is removing the "ln -s" stuff from the $cmd (I think it's line 122).

Hi Mike,

Many thanks for your reply.  This is actually what you suggested to me
a few weeks ago, but I couldn't work out how to best run that script.
Are you suggesting the modded myth_archive is run as a user job after
a recording?  The problem I see here is that we could still end up
with a disk that is getting full and then myth could still decide to
use it for recordings, to a point where the disk runs out of space.

I was looking at creating a cron job that will run every 30mins or so,
that will run a script to simply move files from a somewhat full disk
to one that has space or has plenty of deleted recordings.  I will use
the myth python bindings to prevent me moving files that are currently
being recorded to.  The only problem I see is that someone may start
watching the same recording I am moving during the time it takes to
actually do a filesystem move.

Anyways, fun times ahead.  Let me know if you foresee any problems.

Regards,
Whytey