[mythtv-users] Custome modeline help (or: the Joys of JVC Customer Care)

William william_munson at comcast.net
Thu May 14 10:33:48 UTC 2009

Pete Cap wrote:
> MythTV users,
>
> I'm trying to create a custom modeline that will allow my onboard
> Intel G35 hardware to work with My JVC LT-Z46ZF7.
> For reasons I do not understand, my new hardware seems to misinterpret
> the EDID information sent by the TV, so I get a blue screen (signal
> parameters are outside what the TV can display).  My previous hardware
> (Radeon card with DVI-HDMI adapter) works just fine.
>
> I didn't get anywhere with the suggested modelines in the MythTV wiki,
> so I decided to e-mail JVC customer support to get the information I
> need to create a custom modeline--pixel clock, referesh rates, the
> whole nine yards.
>
> So far this experience has been less than optimal.
> Some gems include:
> "Based on the manaul this unit is capable of 1080I. As per the manual
> on page 14, 37, a PC signal is only compatible connected via VGA or
> XGA cable."
> ...In fact, that page of the manual explains that the TV can handle
> DVI input with the appropriate adapter.
> "HDMI outputs on a PC are a lot higher than TV HDMI outputs due to
> providing a different signal that some TV's are not able to recognize."
> ...What is this even supposed to mean?!  I think in fact JVC's
> customer support guys are the ones who are high.
>
> If anyone has any ideas, aside from not buying anything from JVC, I'm
> all ears.  At this point I'm considering an EECB if I can find the
> right contact info.
>
> Thanks!
>
> --Pete

I have to do the same thing, fool my xorg to produce the correct
resolutions. Attached is my xorg.conf that includes a couple of custom
modelines (one uses the older multi-line mode format)  and the needed
flags to make xorg play nice. My modelines feature standard 1080i and
540p timings and a reduced screen area that exactly matches the visible
portion of my monitor so they may look weird.

William

---------------------------

# nvidia-xconfig: X configuration file generated by nvidia-xconfig
# nvidia-xconfig:  version 1.0  (buildmeister at builder63)  Wed Oct  1
15:09:35 PDT 2008

Section "Monitor"
    Identifier    "Monitor0"
    Displaysize    824    468
    Horizsync    30.0    -    83.0
    Vertrefresh    56.0    -    75.0
    Option        "dpms"    "0"
    modeline  "my540p" 37.26 824 944 1048 1104 468 514 528 563 +hsync +vsync
    Mode "my1080i"
    Dotclock    74.52
    Htimings    1640    1888    2096    2208
    Vtimings    952    1044    1060    1126
    Flags        "-HSync"    "-VSync"    "Interlace"
    EndMode
EndSection

Section "Screen"
    Identifier    "Screen0"
    Device        "Card0"
    Monitor        "Monitor0"
    Defaultcolordepth    24
    DefaultDepth    24
    SubSection "Display"
        Depth    24
        Modes        "my1080i"    "my540p"
    EndSubSection
EndSection

Section "Module"
    Load           "dbe"
    Load           "extmod"
    Load           "freetype"
    Load    "glx"
    Disable    "dri2"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
    Identifier     "Mouse0"
    Driver         "mouse"
    Option         "Protocol" "auto"
    Option         "Device" "/dev/psaux"
    Option         "Emulate3Buttons" "no"
    Option         "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
    Identifier     "Keyboard0"
    Driver         "kbd"
EndSection

Section "ServerLayout"
    Identifier     "Layout0"
    Screen      0  "Screen0"
    InputDevice    "Mouse0" "CorePointer"
EndSection

Section "Device"
    Identifier    "Card0"
    Option        "UseEvents"    "true"
    Option        "DPI"    "100x100"
    Option        "AddARGBVisuals"    "1"
    Option        "NoLogo"    "1"
    Option        "ConnectedMonitor"    "CRT"
    Option        "UseEDID"    "FALSE"
    Option        "XvmcUsesTextures"    "TRUE"
    Option        "ExactModeTimingsDVI"    "TRUE"
    Option        "ConnectToAcpid"    "FALSE"
    Vendorname    "All"
    Boardname    "All"
    Option      "NvAGP" "0"
    Driver    "nvidia"