[mythtv-users] Using the SBLive 5.1 // emu10k1 driver

Stephen Bridges widget at stdin.co.uk
Sat May 16 17:59:53 UTC 2009

Hi all,

This is a slight cry for help.  I've been using a venerable second-hand sb
live in my mythtv box since I built the first one in 2006, due to it being
recommended as top dog for 5.1 support in Linux.  I've continually struggled
since then to actually have it work 100% properly.

The first problem I have is that the Master volume control in the alsa driver
doesn't and has never worked.  I have historically got around this with a C
daemon that copied the PCM volume to the individual speaker volumes, but have
been trying recently to use the ALSA script below to do it the Proper Way.
This works in MythTV for the default sound device, but not the surround51
device.  Writing this makes me think I should try to use the sndcard one that
I've defined.

Also, using the default device stops MythDVD playing 5.1 sound correctly.  If
I've just defined 'softvol' as the default, should it not accept 5.1 sound?
It appears instead to just play two of the channels over the six speakers
instead.

I'd appreciate any other users of this soundcard to tell me how they've got
theirs working.  Currently I drop back to xine for cinematic DVDs, which has a
comparatively terrible UI for using a remote with.  It also uses surround51
directly and then has no volume control.

Stephen.

--
pcm.sndcard
{