[mythtv-users] mythfrontend segfault on gentoo - solved

Jarom McDonald jlmcdonald at gmail.com
Sun May 17 06:47:59 UTC 2009

> I upgraded my install on gentoo and the frontend would segfault when trying
> to start up.  As this was pretty frustrating to figure out, I thought that I
> would share what I did to fix it in case someone else is having the same
> problems.  Both Xorg and gcc upgraded as part of the process.  There was
> nothing in the Xorg log and the mythfrontend log would load settings from
> the database and then just segfault without any additional info.  Not sure
> what caused it, but it looks like the glx driver no longer had any setting.
> To fix the problem, I reset it.
>
> >eselect opengl set nvidia
>
> If anyone could tell me where the core dump is when there is a segfault it
> would be helpful for the future.  I could not do a backtrace, because I did
> not know where to look for it.  It might have saved me some time as well.
>
> Dan

THANK YOU ... I've spent the better part of a week trying to figure out what
I did to break mythfrontend / mythtv-setup ... I re-emerged every single X
library in multiple ways, trying to figure out what the recent updates (two
weeks ago I did a full world update) did. I don't know why I didn't even
think to check the opengl selection.

To be more precise, my eselect profile for opengl was still set as it should
(I only have the xorg-X11 opengl, as this system is pretty much
backend-only); however, some of the symbolic links that the eselect setup
creates were broken, so I re-ran eselect, checked that the symbolic links
were now re-created, and voila.

Again, my gratitude is yours for as long as my Myth system goes without
something else breaking ... That's why we do it, right?

Jarom McDonald