[mythtv-users] GeForce 8400 still recommended for VDPAU?

Greg Grotsky spikeygg at gmail.com
Mon May 18 18:32:14 UTC 2009

On Mon, May 18, 2009 at 12:24 PM, <Jens.Peder.Terjesen at devoteam.com> wrote:

> -----Jean-Yves Avenard wrote: -----
>

> >2009/5/18 Steve Heistand <steve at heistand.org>:
> >> would the 9500 be fast enough?
> >
> >From reports I've read, the 9500 does Advanced 2X on HD content ,
> >just
> >... but it does it.
> >
> >Jean-Yves
>
> Perhaps get an overclocked 9500 with DDR3 RAM?
>
> I have an Asus EN9500GT OC/DI/512M which has done Advanced 2X on all the HD
> content I have tested it on. I have only tested it on DVB-S2 HD content, but
> some of those channels are quite high bitrate I think (e.g. BBC HD on 1W).
>
> Update:
> I used ffmpeg -i on these recordings and the one with highest bitrate was
> this one:
>
>    Duration: 00:03:22.04, start: 57390.811211, bitrate: 17493 kb/s
>    Program 1
>    Stream #0.0[0x202]: Video: h264, yuv420p, 1920x1088 [PAR 1:1 DAR
>    30:17], 25 tbr, 90k tbn, 50 tbc
>
> Not sure if this is considered high bitrate or not.

  Do you have any problems on your OC 9500GT with overlays?  I'm curious if
the newer/faster cards are capable of overlays without causing the video to
stutter.  Due to a forced upgrade situation, I just had to buy a new card.
Using the information found here: http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/NVidia_Cards, I
purchased a 567MHz 8400GS because it sounded like the best solution (and it
was fanless).

  I just got it last week and plugged it in, I'm bummed out because the card
does fine with the HD content but when I bring up overlays like program
information or closed captions, it can't hang.  I start to lose sync and
frames get dropped.  We use closed captions a lot on our setup and I think
I'm going to have to bag this new graphics card because it can't do it.

-Greg