[mythtv-users] Absolute newbie stumped

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Tue May 19 23:38:21 UTC 2009

On Tuesday 19 May 2009 16:48:52 Tom wrote:
> Hi all, I just joined the list. I run a Suse/Samba box at home and am
> tinkering with another for LAMP purposes. I use CentOs and FC boxes at
> work, and some RHEL ones. I'll apologize in advance for the extremely
> elementary-level questions.
>
> I've been reading the archives at Gossamer and poking all over the web for
> enough info to just get started with MythTV. I've been at this for two
> months. All I know so far is that that I think I want two ATSC tuner cards
> and I'm thinking of starting with MythDora, since I have some passing
> familiarity with FC.

If you want 2 ATSC "cards" I'd go with the HDHR. Two tuners, network
connection (no slot or case space required) and you can locate them anywhere
on your LAN.

The HDHR is well supported by Myth, and has been for a while, so the support
is pretty stable.

There are less expensive options, but the convenience is worth it, IMHO.

Note how free I am with spending *your* money :-)

Mythdora is a good choice for an initial system, especially if you are
familiar with FC.

--
beww
beww at beww.org