[mythtv-users] RocketRAID Cards, was: OT: help selecting drives for server

John Drescher drescherjm at gmail.com
Thu May 21 00:12:03 UTC 2009

> P.S. I love my 3Ware 8506-4LP 4-port SATA raid card. I want to get another.
> If you use SMART (doesn't everybody??) the SMARTD daemon can look right
> through the 3Ware card and get status on individual drives, using a special
> syntax: "/dev/twe0 -d 3ware,0" (first card, first drive) etc. And it can be
> managed via a web tool from localhost or another machine. Status,
> diagnostics, commands, all accessible. If you don't like cli's.
> </soapbox>

I like this in windows since that platform is performance hampered
with software raid but the darn card costs more than the 4 drives you
connect to it so I only have 1 of these at work.

In linux for the most part for the 20TB of raid 5 / 6 I have at work I
just use the motherboard  ports and linux software raid. A 6 x 750 GB
array on a AMD X2 5200 dual core gets me around 300MB/s reads with
~200MB / sustained writes  tested with a 16 GB file.

John