[mythtv-users] Absolute newbie stumped

stefan_jones at comcast.net stefan_jones at comcast.net
Thu May 21 03:23:23 UTC 2009

----- "Nick Rout" <nick.rout at gmail.com> wrote:
> Amen to that. The last person I helped I discovered was a windows only
> guy up till then, had a learning difficulty[1] (type "sudo aptitude"
> "can you spell that?" "aptitude, like the english
> word..A-P-T-I-T-U-D-E" "can you repeat that, whats after the "T"?" -
> you get the idea. I have visited his house 4-5 times. He has broadband
> but only to one PC at a toime, no internal network. Periodically he
> emails me and tells me its all working fine but the EPG never updates.
> I ask "have you got the myth box connected to the network, it needs to
> download the EPG info once a day" - he never replies until he repeats
> the first message.
>
> [1] not his fault but it sure makes it hard work!

Part of the reason I moved to the West Coast after grad school was to definitively end my "useful nerd" relationship with about a dozen people! Really, kind of nightmarish at times. Sometimes I got paid, but in ways that made it worse.

As I mentioned before, the friends and co-workers who are putting together mythboxen are if anything more Linux-aware than I am! I'm glad to help them with hardware choices and distro choices, but I know they're capable of taking it from there.