[mythtv-users] What's appropriate to use/distribute in MythTV

Nick F nikos.f at gmail.com
Thu May 21 18:58:58 UTC 2009

On Thu, May 21, 2009 at 1:12 PM, Brian Wood <beww at beww.org> wrote:

> Let's all conceed that the work of the mainstrean devs, and Jaque's
> contributions, all have a place in the overall project. The arguments on
> both
> sides seem well-considered, nobody is trying to shoot down anybody's work.

> Can't we all just get along?

Great post!

One thing to bear in mind, is that most of us USERS enjoy Myth because it's
a hobby more than anything else.  If we wanted applicance-like reliability
we'd be using Tivos or the aweful DVRs from the cablecos.  We like to tinker
and wish we could do more to develop the code but lack the technical
skills.  So - JY's backport/fork fills a real need for us.  I use it on my
fontend that has a VDPAU capable card, and leave my backend running a
bog-standard 'fixes'.  It keeps me involved, interested, tinkering and
having fun.  I've never consumed any resources trouble-shooting the backport
because I realise I'm skiing 'off-piste'.

I read all three lists (users, dev, commits) - and have to say the amount of
traffic generated by JY's backport/fork is far less than other completely
off-topic (but interesting) topics involving arcane hardware and people
reminiscing about the tape-drive they used in 1974.

I'm willing to pledge that as a user of JY's fork - I promise I won't
consume valuable resources!  If other users were so willing - maybe we can
let the backport happily co-exist until 0.22 comes along.

Can't we bring the fun back into this?