[mythtv-users] OT: Hardware purchase question for eventual HD Mythtv system

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Thu May 21 22:59:06 UTC 2009

On Thursday 21 May 2009 16:31:30 Mark Boyum wrote:
> Our Myth system died a sudden death earlier this week.  Yet another
> motherboard died with bad caps.
>
> As it turns out I'm getting rather skilled at moving all my HDs and
> capture cards from one computer to the next and it only took me 2
> hours to replace it with my desktop computer.  We are now happily
> enjoying MythTV again but I no longer have a computer.
>
> So I am looking at
> http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.194454
> to purchase as a low end desktop for now.  Eventually it will likely
> become a MythTV frontend.  It has been 12 or so years since I last
> built a PC.  Is there anything else that would need to be purchased in
> addition to that combo deal?  Specifically, does the AMD retail CPU
> box include a cooler?  I'm thinking not but can't find conclusive
> evidence.

Although it may seem trivial, it's often the little stuff that bites you:

OEM hard drives usually do not include a cable, but it looks like a SATA cable
comes with the mobo. You'll need mounting screws for the HDD as well.

You will also need mounting screws and possibly standoffs for the mobo, these
may or may not be included with the case.

Thermal compound may or may not be included with the CPU, but you will need
some to mount the heatsink to the CPU. If it comes with a "pad" use good
quality (silver bearing) compound instead, that CPU will run pretty hot.

I have also found a good stock of handy expletives to be useful when
assembling a machine. Usually mild ones are sufficient.

--
beww
beww at beww.org