[mythtv-users] Two separate Master servers?

Raymond Wagner raymond at wagnerrp.com
Fri May 22 01:23:30 UTC 2009

Mark Knecht wrote:
> The new server has X on it but it doesn't currently have a Window
> manager so I cannot run mythtv-setup on that machine directly.

If you have X, you likely have at least TWM.  It's not great, it's not
pretty, but it's not like you need a full desktop environment just to
run X.  Or as Robert mentioned, you can just do 'ssh -X' from a machine
with a full desktop environment.

As far as running multiple independent backends, you can use some sed
scripts to change the config files at runtime, but a better option would
be to set the 'MYTHCONFDIR' environment variable.  That will change from
the default (~/.mythtv) to wherever you want.  Also note that mythtv now
uses the 'config.xml' file for database access.  'mysql.txt' is only
maintained for backwards compatibility with scripts, and is only used if
'config.xml' does not exist.