[mythtv-users] Gigabyte GA-73PVM-S2H, 1080p problems?

David Lister foceni at gmail.com
Fri May 22 06:44:19 UTC 2009

Troy Goodson wrote:
> I'm considering a system using a Gigabyte GA-73PVM-S2H motherboard.
> There seems to be a lot of people who have used this board.  I've
> found a lot positive remarks out there from people who have used it,
> but also a couple of comments about problems with 1080p (below) over
> HDMI and maybe DVI.
>
> Is anyone out there using this motherboard with a 1080p display at
> 1920x1080?  Have you had to deal with jitters? Is the image being cut
> off, as described below?  Were you able to solve these problems?
>

> "stopped pursuing XvMC as an option and ended up solving my mpeg2 view
> jitters by reducing my X resolution from 1920x1080 to 1280x720"
> "mpeg2 video stuttering followup"  ojw at weilerfamily, Sep 27, 2008
>
> "we did notice a scanning problem with the 7100 graphics adapter's
> driver. Despite outputting a 1920x1080 native resolution to our
> display, the edges of the Windows Vista desktop (including the
> Taskbar) were lost beyond the edges of the display and there was no
> way to remedy this using NVIDIA's driver. It did the same through its
> DVI port when we used a DVI to HDMI adapter."
> 14 Jan 2008 -
> http://www.pcworld.idg.com.au/review/pc_components/gigabyte/ga-73pvm-s2h_rev_1_0/219001
>

> also, see and edit http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Gigabyte_GA-73PVM-S2H

If you have any doubts or have seen issues, it's probably better to
forget about it -- it's not powerful enough for quality 1080i
deinterlacer and is kinda old. I'd suggest GIGABYTE E7AUM-DS2H. Similar,
also mATX, but being up-to-date HW, powerful enough for any HD (yet not
unnecessarily powerful). Have heard only good responses (e.g. see the
thread here, a few days back) and as soon as I'm back home, I'll buy it
myself. :)

--
Dave