[mythtv-users] Long delays with remote occasionally

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Fri May 22 15:30:19 UTC 2009

On 05/22/2009 10:43 AM, Allen Edwards wrote:
> The only difference I can think of is that the disks
> are almost 85% full (1T total on 2 disks) where a month ago they were
> probably 50% full.  Could that be an issue?

As the database gets more data in it, database access can slow (and, for
the most part, the database will maintain a "steady-state" size after
the first year of use with the exception that it will grow with the
number of recorded seconds of video available--once deleted, though, the
database will decrease in size).  As database access slows, the Myth UI
is often affected.

This is purely anecdotal, but I've heard stories which seem to indicate
that the MySQL database configuration on several of the newest distros
leads to abysmal database performance.  I don't have any hard facts or
recommendations, but that's one possibility.  However--unless we're
talking about SDTV--the difference between 50% and 85% of 1TB (350MB)
wouldn't be a huge difference in database size.  (For SDTV, though, it
could be as much as 350hrs of recording--which would be a large difference.)

Still, it makes sense to run optimize_mythdb.pl just in case.  Also,
make sure your frontend is not swapping.

Mike