[mythtv-users] Mythwelcome freezes

Mikko Rönkkö mikko.ronkko at iki.fi
Tue May 26 15:47:24 UTC 2009

On May 26, 2009, at 5:50 PM, German Rodriguez wrote:

> I guess something similar happened to me, what I did was to delay
> the start of X for 10 seconds, also, how are you starting
> mythwelcome, there's a flag on mythfrontend that tells it to start
> mythwelcome instead of mythfrontend.real I think that's the right
> way to do it, I modified my X startup file to run mythwelcome
> instead of mythfrontend and I run kind into the same problems you
> have.

I solved the issue by writing a small wrapper around mythwelcome to
run mythshutdown --check before running mythwelcome. This can probably
be improved, but it seems to work. A funny thing is that mythshutdown
--check asks for sudo password and restarts the backend

#!/bin/bash

echo "Testing master backend"
sudo /usr/bin/mythshutdown --check
echo "Backend returned $?"

echo "Starting mythwelcome"

mythwelcome -v all> /home/mythfrontend/mythfrontend.log 2>&1
for i in 5 4 3 2 1 ; do
   if [ -f mythfrontend.log.$i ]; then
     mv -f mythfrontend.log.$i  mythfrontend.log.$(($i + 1))
   fi
done
mv mythfrontend.log  mythfrontend.log.1

Mikko