[mythtv-users] removable storage questions

James Miller gajs-f0el at dea.spamcon.org
Wed May 27 13:48:59 UTC 2009

On Wed, 27 May 2009, Dan wrote:

> Also, it's worth noting that you can hot swap SATA and SCSI drives,
> but not IDE ones. IDE's require a reboot.

I've probably misused terminology here. The drives I have in mind are IDE
drives, but they hook to the computer via a USB adapter. When I use them,
I mount/umount, plug/unplug them at will--multiple times, if needed. I was
therefore referring to these as "hot-swappable" drives, but maybe that
term has a more restricted application, indicating drives more integrally
attached to the system (say, in caddies as part of a RAID array or
something like that).

Thanks for your advice on symlinking and creating a recording group for
these, essentially archived, recordings. It seems on the surface that this
method is about as complex as simply transcoding, then transferring those
recordings to the drives I mentioned. It does have the virtue of keeping
them in the systems' database, though. I'll think on this some more.

Any other input on my proposal to use external, intermittently-present,
drives, for long-term storage of some recordings?

Thanks,
James