[mythtv-users] HD-PVR

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Wed May 27 21:37:35 UTC 2009

On Wednesday 27 May 2009 11:48:23 Daniel Kristjansson wrote:

> > i dont know maybe ill try again. i remember about 6 months ago i was
> > playing email tag with tech support, they kept escalating me to others
> > and the last response i got was something like....... "firewire is
> > turned off for customer use", and they copied and pasted the same fcc
> > regs i sent to them back to me, that they had the right to encrypt (5c i
> > think?) and they either didnt want to do it or couldnt do it at that
> > point i cant remember exactly which.  i  just wanted to screw with it
> > and see if it worked but i could never get anything out of plugreport
> > from either port on the box so i assumed it was off. im in norwich by
> > the way, and thanks for your input.
>
> Steve, what TW told you is incorrect. 5C can only be enabled for certain
> channels, and the channel changing must work. If they refuse to rent you
> a functional box they are acting criminally. Your best bet is to call
> your local regulator (at the city or town level) and depending on the
> contract they negotiated they may be able to charge Time Warner millions
> of dollars per day until they rectify their mistake. This will not only
> lower your property taxes, but also tends to get Time Warner to cease
> their criminal activities surprisingly quickly.

I'd be careful with the word "criminal". They may well be guilty of a civil
violation, or a regulatory violation, but no actual criminal statutes are
likely to be involved.

Only in the broadest possible sense of the word would they be "criminals" in
the eyes of the law, though most of us here would consider them to be.

Generally "criminal" means you are facing possible jail time, and are entitled
to a trial by jury. While we might all like to see T/W execs jailed, it's not
going to happen.

--
beww
beww at beww.org