[mythtv-users] Confused about MBE/SBE boxes and myth.find_orphans.pl

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Thu May 28 14:30:42 UTC 2009

On 05/28/2009 09:54 AM, stuart wrote:

> Ronald Frazier wrote:
>>> So why does a run of myth.find_orphans.pl on the SBE box identify this
>>> recording as one that should be purged? :

>> Have you looked to see what the path stored in the database is? I'm
>> wondering if you've somehow got it setup so that this file is
>> accessible via multiple paths through different storage groups. Maybe
>> it's finding the file twice, and one of the times the path in the DB
>> isn't matching what it's looking at.
>
> How do you go about finding the path?  I looked at the data base dump
> and do not see any path information around the
> "1201_20090509050000.mpg" pattern.

Recording file path isn't stored in the database--only a storage group
name, which is a logical identifier associated with a list of
directories.  Therefore, all the database can say is that a file
called--for example--"1201_20090509050000.mpg" exists in one of the
directories associated with <storage group name> /on the host/ hostname.

> Some background - if that would help:
>
> === The following was done on the assumption that the current mythtv
> applications would handle moving recordings between MBE and SBE

You cannot move recordings from one host to the other--unless the
filesystem to which you move the recording is available "locally" (i.e.
through NFS mount) to the original host and that network filesystem is
listed as one of the directories in one of your storage groups on the
original host.

If this isn't the case, you'll need to edit the recorded.hostname
field.  http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Database_Backup_and_Restore

> 6) Just to add a bit more confusion - I should add that, somewhere
> during the past several weeks, I must have run the myth-rename utility
> accidentally.

http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Mythrename.pl#Basic_Usage (see the part about
resetting the names).  I /highly/ recommend doing so.

Mike