[mythtv-users] nVidia drivers 185.18.14 now out, ubuntu mythtv packages update ...

Jean-Yves Avenard jyavenard at gmail.com
Thu May 28 15:13:17 UTC 2009

Hi

nVidia just released drivers 185.18.14 . They list them as Release
Candidate status and pre-release.

They fixed a few issues related to VDPAU.

First with Powermizer. When playing videos with VDPAU, powermizer
wouldn't increase the speed of the GPU if required.
With some video cards this could be a problem. I saw a 9800GT which
would stay at 100MHz when playing a 1080p H264 files, and obviously
this wasn't fast enough.
Also, you don't need to disable composite in xorg.conf to prevent
tearing anymore.

I have created Ubuntu (8.04, 8,10 and 9.04) packages for the 185.18.14
drivers and made VDPAU-aware applications (mythtv and mplayer) depend
on the updated VDPAU library.

Those packages are in the "testing" section of my repository.
Upgrading requires some user intervention, you can't just do an
automatic upgrade , though it's not that hard either.

I wrote some notes on how to do it...
http://www.avenard.org/media/Ubuntu_Repository/Entries/2009/5/28_How_to_upgrade_to_nVidia_drivers_185.18.14.html

Let me know how it goes..

Cheers