[mythtv-users] Myth/HDHR impressions & issues

Greg Woods greg at gregandeva.net
Thu May 28 15:26:30 UTC 2009

On Thu, 2009-05-28 at 07:30 -0700, Mark Knecht wrote:
> Hi,
>    Thanks to scte65scan

I still haven't been able to make this work. I always get:

# /local/bin/scte65scan -H FFFFFFFF,0
PID 0x1ffc timeout

The same thing happens if I substitute the actual ID for FFFFFFFF.

I got my HDHR channels working the old fashioned way: watching each
channel until I knew what it was, getting the xmltvid from Schedules
Direct, and manually putting it in. Took forever, but it was a one-time
hassle. That is, one-time until Comcast decides to move all the
currently-analog channels in my area to digital, rendering my PVR-500
useless and requiring heavier use of the HDHR. If I have to enter all of
the current analog channels the old fashioned way, I will need to
dedicate an entire weekend to getting it done, so I would like to get
scte65scan working.

> 1) Audio/video sync is not good. It's off enough (.2 to .5 seconds) to
> be frustrating when you watch closely.

Have you tried turning on the "extra audio buffering" setting? It's the
first screen under Settings -> TV Settings -> Playback.

If that doesn't work, you can try "Use video as timebase" too but I've
never had that do anything for me but totally mess things up.

> 2) Commercial flagging is really bad.

I haven't noticed it go to commercial early, but then I don't ever do
automatic cutting of commercials. I've never found flagging to be 100%
accurate even for SD shows. With HD shows I frequently have to skip
forward more than once to get past all the commercials, and every once
in a while it misses the start of the show and I have to skip back and
resort to fast forward to find the end of the break. I have never found
a solution for this, but I've gotten used to it working this way so I'm
pretty fast with the buttons, and it's still way better than the crappy
Comcast DVR that has no commercial skipping capability at all.

> 3) It seems that sometimes there is something in the data stream that
> causes the Windows-based MythTV Player to crash completely.

Can't say anything about that since I don't use Winblows.

--Greg