[mythtv-users] silent and low-power: AMD or Intel?

Phil Wild philwild at gmail.com
Thu May 28 17:29:31 UTC 2009

2009/5/28 Johnny <jarpublic at gmail.com>:
>> One other thing to remember that has not been mentioned. If your
>> backend is Intel, I would suggest you use Intel for the front-end. If
>> it is amd, then front-end could be either. This is important if you
>> are running ubuntu and want to take advantage of the OS's features for
>> building diskless front-end clients. There is no support for an amd64
>> diskless frontend if you have an intel backend using the tools like
>> mythbuntu control center and related commands.
>
> I am confused by this. Intel licenses amd64 from AMD, so all 64-bit
> desktop processors from Intel and AMD are using the same ISA. If there
> is an incompatibility is it from something else?

Sorry I was not very clear. If you build your backend using an i386
iso of mythbuntu, there is no way of loading an amd64 diskless client
image onto the backend to support an amd frontend using the amd64
mythbuntu packages. The LTSP/ubuntu MythControl Centre packages don't
support this. You can however go the other way and if you have an
AMD64 backend, you can build an i386 image for the frontend.

If you work outside of mythbuntu and run the commands on an i386
install to build an amd64 frontend, you can actually download and
install all components by specifying --arch amd64 from memory, but at
the completion, when it tries to chroot the image on the server to do
some things, it falls over. Sorry can not remember the error

Or perhaps I am totally wrong here and need to be corrected by someone
in the know...

Phil