[mythtv-users] FE replacement recommendations

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Thu May 28 18:32:09 UTC 2009

On Thursday 28 May 2009 11:38:44 Alan Marchiori wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I haven't been following the latest hardware news because my myth
> systems have been working flawlessly for the past year or so (thanks
> to everyone involved in making Myth work).  Until the master be/fe box
> died last night. I suspect the motherboard (random reboots, stable for
> less than 1 minute at a time). It was running a amd 64 socket 939
> processor and I can't find a good replacement 939 motherboard.  So, it
> looks like I have to upgrade to AM2 and buy a cheap amd x2 proc.
>
> I'm looking for motherboard recommendations here are my requirements:
>
>  - < $100 cost (MB+CPU)
>  - Micro ATX form factor
>  - DDR2 DIMMS (will use the old ram)

If you were using a socket 939 motherboard it will have used DDR, not DDR2.
AMD went to DDR2 with the AM2 processors (remember the memory controller is
on the CPU, not the mobo as with Intel processors).

Unfortunately moving from 939 to AM2 means replacing the RAM.

The symptoms you describe could be RAM problems, or possibly even the PSU. You
may also have bad capacitors on the mobo, if you're handy with a soldering
iron it might be possible to replace them and revive the motherboard.

--
beww
beww at beww.org