[mythtv-users] nVidia drivers 185.18.14 now out, ubuntu mythtv packages update ...

William william_munson at comcast.net
Fri May 29 00:18:17 UTC 2009

On 05/28/2009 05:13 PM, William wrote:
> On 05/28/2009 11:13 AM, Jean-Yves Avenard wrote:
>> Hi
>>
>> nVidia just released drivers 185.18.14 . They list them as Release
>> Candidate status and pre-release.
>>
>> They fixed a few issues related to VDPAU.
>>
>> First with Powermizer. When playing videos with VDPAU, powermizer
>> wouldn't increase the speed of the GPU if required.
>> With some video cards this could be a problem. I saw a 9800GT which
>> would stay at 100MHz when playing a 1080p H264 files, and obviously
>> this wasn't fast enough.
>> Also, you don't need to disable composite in xorg.conf to prevent
>> tearing anymore.
>>
>> I have created Ubuntu (8.04, 8,10 and 9.04) packages for the 185.18.14
>> drivers and made VDPAU-aware applications (mythtv and mplayer) depend
>> on the updated VDPAU library.
>>
>> Those packages are in the "testing" section of my repository.
>> Upgrading requires some user intervention, you can't just do an
>> automatic upgrade , though it's not that hard either.
>>
>> I wrote some notes on how to do it...
>> http://www.avenard.org/media/Ubuntu_Repository/Entries/2009/5/28_How_to_upgrade_to_nVidia_drivers_185.18.14.html
>>

>> Let me know how it goes..
>>
>> Cheers
>> Jean-Yves
>>
> While trying to upgrade a jaunty I am unable to find the
> nvidia-glx-185 package in either the jaunty or intrepid testing repo.
> Do I need to enable bleeding? I would prefer not to upgrade to that
> unstable of a release.

Ok, I settled on the Intrepid release repo and did as you suggest. I did
a reload and marked all upgrades. This tagged a bunch of stuff including
the nvidia 180 drivers. It also tagged (for installation) a kernel
module for the 185 drivers but not the glx files. I manually searched
and found the glx files and selected them. All looks good at this point
however it appears that it now wants to remove xorg and all the xorg
drivers as part of this upgrade. I cancelled out at this point. It may
be that I will have to do this in several steps using apt-get rather
than synaptic. Any thoughts or suggestions?

W.