[mythtv-users] How to disable AutoExpire

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Fri May 29 03:48:48 UTC 2009

On 05/28/2009 09:11 PM, michael hupp wrote:
> I have mythtv-backend from the latest mythtv-release-0-21-fixes
> (revision 20650) compiled and running on my Kurobox Pro.
>
> I don't have (or want) any capture cards installed since I don't want
> to record anything. I only use my frontend to watch other content.
> Therefore, I only use the backend to the configuration data for my two
> frontends.
>
> The backend is running fine and I already figured out how to back off
> the JobQueue frequency but I cannot figure out how to keep the
> AutoExpire process from running every minute. Everything I read (and I
> have read a lot) says AutoExpire should run every 10 or 15 minutes.
>
> I looked at this link:
>
> http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/User_Manual:Detailed_configuration_Frontend#Global_Auto_Expire_Settings
>
> but my frontend doesn't have this page. Must be an outdate version???

Yeah, that page is way out of date.

> Anyhoo, can anybody out there please tell me how I can disable (or at
> least back off the frequency of) the AutoExpire process?

The ability to disable auto-expire was removed when LiveTV was changed
to the current implementation (which relies on auto-expire to clean up
old LiveTV).  At the same time, the setting which controls frequency of
auto-expire runs was removed.

By default, it will now run once every 15 minutes, but it will decrease
that value if the maximum amount of space it needs available in 15
minutes is too large (>3GB), but it should never run more than once
every 3 minutes.

You should see lines in your mythbackend logs that say something like:

2009-05-28 23:34:41.647 AutoExpire: CalcParams(): Max required Free
Space: 2.0 GB w/freq: 15 min

which is indicating that my system is running the autoexpire thread once
every 15 minutes (since it only needs to make 2GiB max available in 15
minutes).  It will also run just before any recording starts.

Mike