[mythtv-users] Thoughts on Hauppauge Wintv Pvr 150 Mce

Neil Bird neil at fnxweb.com
Fri May 29 09:23:02 UTC 2009

Around about 28/05/09 17:00, Mike Holden typed ...
> ... You
> would need a scart to svideo converter, but you can pick these up at
> electronics shops like Maplins (or even Dixons/PC World etc if you are
> REALLY desperate!)

   But remember that a basic Scart->S-Video is going to only give you
composite video quality (i.e., acceptable but a bit rubbish), you need a
proper box to to RGB->S-Video conversion to get decent quality (maybe
£30-£50;  the one I use with my Sky box cost £80 but that has RGB
pass-through as well so I get RGB to the TV as well as being converted for
MythTV).

   If you've got HD Virgin, (I've been researching HD recently) you may want
the Hauppauge PVR-HD (HD-PVR?) box that takes Component (& HDMI?) and
compresses it for you into USB (although I think only trunk supports this
ATM).  You'd also need an HD-FURY2 to take the Virgin HDMI out and convert
to component.  Those two there will set you back ~£300.  But I may consider
it if Sky can their £10-pm HD surcharge.

   For both options you need a channel changer (USB or serial) that'll talk
to the Virgin box, unless you have something like that going already.

--
[neil at fnx ~]# rm -f .signature
[neil at fnx ~]# ls -l .signature