[mythtv-users] nVidia drivers 185.18.14 now out, ubuntu mythtv packages update ...

Tortise tortise at paradise.net.nz
Fri May 29 11:27:44 UTC 2009

The thing is JYA, whilst testing is testing, I cannot find the word testing on the page
http://www.avenard.org/media/Ubuntu_Repository/Entries/2009/5/28_How_to_upgrade_to_nVidia_drivers_185.18.14.html

It does seem the word testing has a wider relevance here, however I do not wish to appear ungrateful because that is not my
intention nor my overall feeling.

Your screen dump http://img241.imageshack.us/img241/2607/picture4l.png is particularly helpful, thank you for this.

I note your picture picture4l.png details

http://www.avenard.org/files/ubuntu-repos intrepid release testing

I now have

http://www.avenard.org/files/ubuntu-repos intrepid release
http://www.avenard.org/files/ubuntu-repos intrepid testing

It would seem they are equivalent however it is always preferable to avoid a virtual flogging, so I hope you will confirm whether
they are the same or not?

A couple of suggestions, if I may, that might help you help others?

On page http://www.avenard.org/media/Ubuntu_Repository/Ubuntu_Repository.html
it would reduce confusion if the "2)Add repository." section details were in order.  9.04, 8.10, 8.04 (or the reverse.)

Similarly later on it has:

"Packages in testing are updated more often and may not be as stable as what you will find in the release repository. However, they
will usually be more up to date including beta nVidia drivers. Testing packages are built with debugging information allowing to
track bugs more easily."

I propose it be refined to say the following:  (Refinements flagged with [] )

"Packages in testing are updated more often and may not be as stable as what you will find in the release repository. However, they
will usually be more up to date including beta nVidia drivers [(Now 185.18.14)] Testing packages are built with debugging
information allowing to track bugs more easily.  [Remember to substitute {VERSION} with jaunty, intrepid as applies for you}
echo "deb http://www.avenard.org/files/ubuntu-repos [{VERSION}] testing" | sudo tee -a /etc/apt/sources.list.d/avenard.list

Then use either synaptic or apt-get in a terminal. "

Our friend William <william_munson at comcast.net> was publicly hung drawn and quartered for not following the directions in a post
sent Friday, May 29, 2009 12:42 PM  (Time codes may make time wrong though!)  The difficulty I am sure he had was reconciling the
sentence "Then use either synaptic or apt-get in a terminal." with the kind guidance provided in the referenced email.  Perhaps some
clarification might assist others, however I can also not reconcile your intentions here so cannot suggest that.  I would be happy
to "test" any proposed communication if it would assist.

The helpful pictures might help others if also referenced on page
http://www.avenard.org/media/Ubuntu_Repository/Entries/2009/5/28_How_to_upgrade_to_nVidia_drivers_185.18.14.html

There is a saying that might be of interest to some readers here.  "Don't throw stones in glass houses."

Finally I wish to observe one of the major advantages the Linux community has to offer is the willingness of many to test for free
and contribute in this way, especially when they do not have the coding skills some of us might.

Please be mindful they also do contribute and that it is potentially to all our gain that they might also be encouraged.