[mythtv-users] NFS server not responding, but it is...

Ben Lancaster mail at benlancaster.co.uk
Sun May 31 16:38:15 UTC 2009

Hey,

First, quick explanation of my setup, Combined FE and Master BE in the
living room (let's call him "Downstairs"),  Slave BE and NAS in the
loft (let's call him "Upstairs"). Downstairs has the tuners and
records on to an NFS mount, exported by Upstairs and formatted as XFS.

For some reason, Downstairs loses the NFS Connection to Upstairs from
time to time, which causes the backend to go down. Downstairs can
still ping Upstairs, The log files are full of "nfs: server Upstairs
not responding, timed out", but Upstairs' log files are clean (and I
can mount the same export on other machines via the same bit of
network without a problem). Running "rpcinfo -p" on both machines
shows all the necessary services are running fine (portmapper, status,
nlockmgr, nfs, mountd)

Here's Downstairs' fstab entry:

Upstairs:/video     /video          nfs
rsize=8192,wsize=8192,async,nfsvers=3,tcp          0       0

...and here's Upstairs' exports file:

/video                  *(rw,insecure,async,no_root_squash)

I used to have a few extra mount options in Downstairs' fstab but have
been taking them out to see if that fixes the problems, namely "intr"
and "actimeo=0" and "soft"

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.