[mythtv-users] Jumping frames while editing

Jim Stichnoth stichnot at gmail.com
Sun Nov 1 20:02:49 UTC 2009

When I edit a recording to set cut points, there is some odd behavior
when skipping backward or forward by N seconds.  Instead of skipping
immediately to the desired frame, often it jumps through several
frames until it converges on the desired frame.  For ATSC recordings
(mpeg2), there might be a couple of these intermediate frames.  For
HD-PVR recordings (h.264), there could be up to 6 or 7.

I understand that this is how seeking works -- find the closest
keyframe and then advance frame by frame until the exact frame is
found.  But is there something I can do to keep these intermediate
frames from being displayed to the screen?

This has been the case in 0.21 and 0.22, for many versions of the
nvidia driver through my current version (190.42).  I see this with
the VDPAU profile and the Slim profile.  I tried setting and unsetting
the "Seek to exact frame" setting, with no difference.  The hardware
is a diskless single-core IONITX box.

Jim