[mythtv-users] Please help with WAF!

Another Sillyname anothersname at googlemail.com
Mon Nov 2 02:09:14 UTC 2009

2009/11/2 Justin Garrison <rothgar at 1n73r.net>:
> For those that don't know: WAF = Wife Acceptance Factor
> I am using Mythbuntu 9.10 (MythTV 0.22rc) with 1 HDHR and 1 HD-PVR and so
> far, with the help of many, I have been able to solve almost every problem I
> have come across. The current 2 issues I cannot figure out and I hope
> someone can help me with is:
>
> 1. I only have 1 tuner that can watch/record all my premium channels
> (HD-PVR) and that being so it is recording a lot of shows. My wife however
> loves just watching live TV (I am trying to break her of this habit), but if
> the HD-PVR is recording she cannot watch anything unless she goes into
> "manage recordings -> upcoming recordings" and then stops the current
> recording show. Is there anyway to allow her to stop a current recording
> from the program guide or live tv (or at least prompt her to stop the
> recording)? I know if something is about to record on the current tuner you
> can tell it to not record and just watch TV instead but I can't find a way
> to do the same thing if the recording has already started. Please help cause
> other than this "feature" my wife is almost sold on using MythTV.
>
> 2. My sound levels are really off. I am using a Gigabyte board with onboard
> Realtek ALC889A. My TV is plugged in with the standard 3.5mm -> RCA
> (composite) jack. The HD-PVR is a lot louder than the HDHR but both are
> still much quieter than just the cable plugged into the TV or cable box.
> Normally my TV volume is set to 10-20 but with MythTV (live TV and
> recordings) I have to have the levels at 20-40. With the AC on and recording
> from the HDHR, I sometimes have to go up to 60-70 volume levels. I have the
> system volume already set to 100% and I can't figure out a way to make it
> any louder. Is there some sort of audio booster, better Realtek driver, or
> another external soundcard someone would recommend that may be better
> supported? I also would like to have the option for optical audio so that
> would be something to consider with a second sound card.
>
> Thank you guys for all your help and I look forward to any suggestions or
> fixes you may have.
>
> --
> Justin Garrison
> 1n73r.net

Justin

Can't you add a second tuner and make it have higher recording
priority?  That way you wife gets to watch live TV on an earlier
'free' tuner.

Have you check your volume settings in your frontend?

In the Frontend --> Utilities/Setup --> Setup -->  General --> 4 or
5th Screen (Audio Mixer)

Make sure the volume settings there are maxed, it defaults to 70% and
turns down the system master volume.

GL