[mythtv-users] Please help with WAF!

Fred Squires fsquires at gmail.com
Mon Nov 2 16:45:48 UTC 2009

On Mon, Nov 2, 2009 at 2:05 AM, Justin Garrison <rothgar at 1n73r.net> wrote:

> "Can't you add a second tuner and make it have higher recording
> priority?  That way you wife gets to watch live TV on an earlier
> 'free' tuner.
>
> Have you check your volume settings in your frontend?
>
> In the Frontend --> Utilities/Setup --> Setup -->  General --> 4 or
> 5th Screen (Audio Mixer)
>
> Make sure the volume settings there are maxed, it defaults to 70% and
> turns down the system master volume."
>
> Another tuner that can do all of the premium channels requires another
> HD-PVR (~$200) plus another cable box (+$10/mo) and I can't spend that just
> so she can watch LiveTV. My only other option if this isn't a possibility is
> to schedule all of my recordings for night or during the day when we both
> are at work. But IMO it seems like the option should be there to enable this
> kind of functionality. I would much rather her kill a recording every now
> and then over spending $200+$120/yr. Or at least prompt her to watch the
> recording while it records.

You could do one of two things that would be cheaper, first you could
split the cable and plug it directly into the back of the TV. She
would then be able to watch all the analog and Clear QAM (if your TV
has a digital tuner in it) channels, though without a channel guide.
Second, you could get a second cable box just for live TV, which she
would probably prefer. You'd still have the recurring charge but you
wouldn't need another HDPVR.
Another question, Is the primary LiveTV tuner your HDPVR? If so,
perhaps you should change your settings so the default LiveTV tuner is
the lowest priority tuner, so by default when LiveTV is started the
2nd tuner on the HDHR will be used, then livetv can start even if
something is being recorded on the HDPVR.