[mythtv-users] Small front end???

Ken Bass kbass at kenbass.com
Mon Nov 2 20:40:25 UTC 2009

Ronald Frazier wrote:
>> Looks like it completely misses the mark on the audio front. Who wants HD
>> with only analog Stereo output?
>>

> Uhhh, me? I mean, not that I'd prefer it over something more, but it's
> perfectly sufficient to me. My HD mythbox is hooked up to my 1080p
> HDTV and using only analog stereo hooked up to a receiver that only
> does Dolby Surround Sound
I guess I feel strongly that if you are viewing HD signals, the device
should have the capability of decent audio - at least RAW PCM to allow
your receiver to decode it.

I cant help to think that before they even get something like this
working there will some Intel ATOM based processors that are even better
than what is already available.

I mean the frontend I just built using the ION ITX runs current MythTV
at HD resolutions (1080i) with audio over the HDMI. There is no special
ARM cross-compilation needed on a niche processor. The ION ITX
motherboard currently sells for $135 (got mine for $115) and includes an
NVIDIA 9400 equivalent card, the beagleboard is $149 and does not even
include ethernet.