[mythtv-users] Questions on correcting database encoding under Gentoo while still on 0.21-fixes

Tom Dexter digitalaudiorock at gmail.com
Mon Nov 2 22:16:27 UTC 2009

On Mon, Nov 2, 2009 at 4:04 PM, Michael T. Dean <mtdean at thirdcontact.com> wrote:
> On 11/02/2009 03:15 PM, Tom Dexter wrote:
>>
>> Thanks!  Do you know offhand whether I may have run into problems if I
>> didn't change the my.cnf on the frontend?  Like I explained above that
>> appears to create a situation where connections from the frontend to
>> the (newly corrected) backend would have this by default:
>>
>> Server characterset:    latin1
>> Db     characterset:    latin1
>> Client characterset:    utf8
>> Conn.  characterset:    utf8
>>
>> With the frontend's my.cnf changed the above are all latin1.  Would
>> missing that have caused an issue, or would data just get properly
>> translated and stored?  Then again, I guess that would only be an
>> issue for anything (if there is in fact any situation) where the
>> frontend writes directly to the database.
>
> If you run mythtv 0.21-fixes in that configuration, it will corrupt data.
>  And, since the backend is not corrupting data, you will end up with the
> dreaded "partial corruption."
>
> If you fix mysql on the backend and the upgrade to 0.22-fixes using the
> backend host's mythtv-setup of mythbackend, then you'd be fine running your
> frontend host in any charset configuration (as 0.22 and above properly set
> characterset).
>
> Because I wasn't completely sure what you had said you were doing in your
> original post, I modified the wiki page to suggest fixing the DB right
> before upgrading.  If you did change it and have run 0.21-fixes against the
> fixed DB, you may want to go back to the original backup and either the
> original "misconfiguration" of mysqld or just upgrade to 0.22-fixes now.
>
> Mike

Whoa...I'm really confused now.  I did in fact change the my.cnf on
both the frontend and backend to ensure all latin1 defaults before
using the corrected database.  I was curious as to whether missing
that frontend part would have caused problems, but I never ran that
way.

That should properly ensure that everything is using and writing
latin1 shouldn't it?  I certainly hope you're not saying I should
revert now for some reason, as it would already be a serious mess if I
have to (new recordings etc).

Thanks in advance.

Tom