[mythtv-users] Mildly OT: Ripping DVDs with Handbrake-subtitle issue

Bob Sully rcs at malibyte.net
Mon Nov 2 22:17:44 UTC 2009

Hi all -

I've begun ripping some of my "favorite" DVDs with Handbrake to make them
available for viewing through Myth; this way I can keep them stored, don't
have to look around for them after the kids have been through the DVD
cabinet, etc.

This works well for the most part, except in the case of movies which have
brief foreign-language conversations which require the "forced" English
subtitles (e.g. in "The Hunt for Red October", there are brief
conversations in Russian which bring up English subtitles only during
those brief scenes).

Handbrake has a check box to enable these only, and the documentation
advises using it in conjunction with "autoselect" in the "subtitles"
drop-down menu.

I have done this without success on "Red October" and a couple of others -
those subtitles do NOT show up.  I though perhaps that the autocropping
was the problem, so I turned that off and left a 60-line upper and lower
border to allow the subtitles to be shown, but that didn't work either.

Does anyone have this working?

I usually use the "High Quality/Film" setting at a bitrate of 1800, which
produces an .mkv file between 1.5 and 2GB for an average movie.

Thanks in advance -
Bob