[mythtv-users] Mouse friendly myth?

Paul Gallaway pgallaway at gmail.com
Tue Nov 3 00:45:41 UTC 2009

On Fri, Oct 30, 2009 at 9:39 AM, LuKreme <kremels at kreme.com> wrote:
> On Oct 27, 2009, at 9:13 PM, Anthony Giggins wrote:
>>
>> my Logitech Harmony ONE remote has back-lite buttons which is great when
>> your watching movies in complete darkness :)
>
> Not for me. I don't want back-lit anything because I don't want a light
> source at all. The backlit keyboards and remotes are far too bright and
> distracting.

I have an Harmony 890. It has a backlight, not a flashlight ;) It
comes on when you pick the remote up (e.g. picking it up to press a
button) or if you press the 'glow botton' and the light goes off
automatically after a few seconds. If it's sitting unused on the
coffee table or couch it emits no light at all. The backlight is not
so bright that it blinds you in complete darkness but does help you
find those less often used buttons in the dark. I do understand that
some people are more sensitive to these types of distractions so not
trying to offend. Wanted to make it clear that it is not a constant
light source like the backlight on a laptop keyboard for instance.

As others have mentioned if you have a remote with a good layout you
will probably find you can operate it perfectly in the dark after a
couple weeks of use.

> click, click, mouse move, scroll up, scroll down. Don't need light for that
> and everything that is necessary for the video is possible.

Personally I find these mouse-movement menu systems (although suppose
could be button enabled) more distracting.

~pAul.