[mythtv-users] Movie Times Plugin outside North America

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Tue Nov 3 07:54:25 UTC 2009

On 11/03/2009 02:35 AM, Ma Begaj wrote:
> 2009/11/3 Michael T. Dean:

>>> And/or then interfacing with apple movie trailers to see a trailer...
>>>
>> Unfortunately, doing so would be a violation of the Apple website ToS unless
>> "interfacing" meant allowing you to hit a button that brought up MythBrowser
>> pointed to the Apple trailers website and let you use their web interface to
>> find and view the trailer.  (The only "interface" we're allowed to do is
>> make it easy for you to bring up a browser to use Apple's HTML interface to
>> access the site.)
> even xml feeds like http://www.apple.com/trailers/home/xml/current.xml??\

My understanding is that those XML feeds are not meant for public
consumption. They're instead accessing the data server that Apple is
using to create the HTML web site. This isn't to say that they are
actively trying to prevent access--I'm sure they allow Apple developers
using the Apple SDK's or some Apple service key or Apple ID or whatever
to access the feed when developing applications for Apple products like
the iPhone or whatever. However, since there's no specific ToS for the
XML feed, and since the XML feed is served as part of the same web site
that includes the "main" Apple web site, it seems to be covered under
the same ToS.

> because (at least my) browser cannot do anything with this xml.
>
> how should someone access these

Apple seems to want you and your browser to go to
http://www.apple.com/trailers/ .

Feel free to read the Apple ToS at
http://www.apple.com/legal/terms/site.html . Specifically of interest are:

-----
Your Use of the Site
You may not use any “deep-link”, “page-scrape”, “robot”, “spider” or
other automatic device, program, algorithm or methodology, or any
similar or equivalent manual process, to access, acquire, copy or
monitor any portion of the Site or any Content, or in any way reproduce
or circumvent the navigational structure or presentation of the Site or
any Content, to obtain or attempt to obtain any materials, documents or
information through any means not purposely made available through the
Site. Apple reserves the right to bar any such activity.
You agree that you will not take any action that imposes an unreasonable
or disproportionately large load on the infrastructure of the Site or
Apple’s systems or networks, or any systems or networks connected to the
Site or to Apple
You may not forge headers or otherwise manipulate identifiers in order
to disguise the origin of any message or transmittal you send to Apple
on or through the Site or any service offered on or through the Site.
You may not pretend that you are, or that you represent, someone else,
or impersonate any other individual or entity.
-----

And note that Apple /has/ recently changed their trailers page such that
they only allow certain applications (such as Apple QuickTime) to
download the trailers. Therefore, the "You may not forge headers or
otherwise manipulate identifiers in order to disguise the origin of any
message or transmittal," portion is especially relevant.

See, also,
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/393292#393292 .

Mike