[mythtv-users] Turning off guide genre text

David Brodbeck gull at gull.us
Tue Nov 3 17:55:43 UTC 2009

R. G. Newbury wrote:
>>> The continued existence of the setting is.  :)  Thanks for finding it.
>>> I'll remove it.
>
> Please do NOT remove this setting.
> Leaving it IN, does no damage.

I think the point was that it doesn't work.  Leaving a setting on the
menu that doesn't actually do anything *is* damaging, because it's
confusing to the user.

As a side note, in software that's intended to be easy to use, it really
is best to avoid superfluous options that force the user to make
arbitrary decisions.  Joel Spolsky has a great article on this:

http://www.joelonsoftware.com/uibook/chapters/fog0000000059.html

His point about every setting in an "Options" dialog being a record of
an argument the software developers had reminds me a *lot* of Myth. ;)