[mythtv-users] Movie Times Plugin outside North America

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Tue Nov 3 21:14:24 UTC 2009

On 11/03/2009 03:29 PM, Nick Rout wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 3, 2009 at 8:54 PM, Michael T. Dean wrote:
>
>> On 11/03/2009 02:35 AM, Ma Begaj wrote:
>>
>>> even xml feeds like http://www.apple.com/trailers/home/xml/current.xml??\
>>>
>> My understanding is that those XML feeds are not meant for public
>> consumption. They're instead accessing the data server that Apple is using
>> to create the HTML web site. This isn't to say that they are actively trying
>> to prevent access--I'm sure they allow Apple developers using the Apple
>> SDK's or some Apple service key or Apple ID or whatever to access the feed
>> when developing applications for Apple products like the iPhone or whatever.
>> However, since there's no specific ToS for the XML feed, and since the XML
>> feed is served as part of the same web site that includes the "main" Apple
>> web site, it seems to be covered under the same ToS.
>>
>>> because (at least my) browser cannot do anything with this xml.
>>>
>>> how should someone access these
>>>
>> Apple seems to want you and your browser to go to
>> http://www.apple.com/trailers/ .
>>
>> Feel free to read the Apple ToS at
>> http://www.apple.com/legal/terms/site.html . Specifically of interest are:
>>
>> -----
>> Your Use of the Site
>> You may not use any “deep-link”, “page-scrape”, “robot”, “spider” or other
>> automatic device, program, algorithm or methodology, or any similar or
>> equivalent manual process, to access, acquire, copy or monitor any portion
>> of the Site or any Content, or in any way reproduce or circumvent the
>> navigational structure or presentation of the Site or any Content, to obtain
>> or attempt to obtain any materials, documents or information through any
>> means not purposely made available through the Site. Apple reserves the
>> right to bar any such activity.
>> You agree that you will not take any action that imposes an unreasonable or
>> disproportionately large load on the infrastructure of the Site or Apple’s
>> systems or networks, or any systems or networks connected to the Site or to
>> Apple
>> You may not forge headers or otherwise manipulate identifiers in order to
>> disguise the origin of any message or transmittal you send to Apple on or
>> through the Site or any service offered on or through the Site. You may not
>> pretend that you are, or that you represent, someone else, or impersonate
>> any other individual or entity.
>> -----
>>
>> And note that Apple /has/ recently changed their trailers page such that
>> they only allow certain applications (such as Apple QuickTime) to download
>> the trailers. Therefore, the "You may not forge headers or otherwise
>> manipulate identifiers in order to disguise the origin of any message or
>> transmittal," portion is especially relevant.
>>
>> See, also, http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/393292#393292
>> .
>>
> I take it you are saying then that (eg) the xbmc apple trailers plugin
> [...]

I'm simply saying that I think the MythTV project would be very limited
in its ability to provide much of an interface to the Apple trailers
website--other than kicking off a browser application (potentially one
pointed to the right page or the search results page).

I have absolutely no knowledge of what the XBMC Apple Trailers plugin
does or how it works.  If someone can provide any approach that
works--and that's (explicitly) approved (or at the very least, not
disallowed by any reasonable interpretation of the ToS), that would be
great.

IANAL.

Mike