[mythtv-users] [RFC] Proposed settings rework

Mike Holden mythtv at mikeholden.org
Wed Nov 4 13:56:45 UTC 2009

Robert McNamara wrote:
> Date Formats by Locale?

Different people have different requirements/tastes on this. I like to see the day
of the week as well as the year, whereas some people are presumably happy with a
more terse format showing just date and month. I can't see that you could keep
everyone happy with any un-overrideable default here.

> Hide Mouse Cursor (display when moving, hide after ~5s idle?)

Only if fullscreen, otherwise leave cursor visible all the time?

> Display live preview of recordings (will be theme controlled)

Would prefer this to remain, as I think it'as a user preference rather than a theme
decision, possibly at least partially based on hardware limitations. I turn it off
because it is annoying, but some like it.

> Alternate clear and save bookmark (true)
> Clear bookmark on playback (true) (false once we have multiple bookmark support)

Strongly disagree on these. We will often watch part of a program together, and
watch the later part separately. To have the bookmark wiped by the 1st person
watching the 2nd part would be a pain. I prefer to have the button set the bookmark
explicitly when pressed, as it's more intuitive. I would prefer a separate
button/binding for clearing a bookmark, as I don't see bookmarks as a toggle event,
rather as a movable "current location". If I read a book, I don't want the bookmark
to disappear until I finish the book, although admittedly the analogy is a little
stretched here!

Multiple bookmarks (chapter marks?) would be good, but in any case, both these
options should be false, not true (IMHO).

--
Mike Holden

http://www.by-ang.com - the place to shop for all manner of hand crafted items,
including Jewellery, Greetings Cards and Gifts