[mythtv-users] Advice on HD, Digital SD, Analog SD scheduling priorities

James Orr james.orr7 at gmail.com
Wed Nov 4 19:20:28 UTC 2009

On Wed, Nov 4, 2009 at 12:44 PM, Michael T. Dean <mtdean at thirdcontact.com>wrote:

> On 11/04/2009 10:32 AM, James Orr wrote:
>
>> I have the same setup, 1 HDHR plus 2 PVR-250s for analog capture.
>>
>> What I did was setup the PVR-250s with a higher tuner priority than the
>> HDHR.  Then I set it so that any HD programs have a higher priority modifier
>> (Setup -> Recording Priorities -> Set Recording Priorities). That way, any
>> SD programming is still recorded on the PVR-250, but any programs flagged as
>> HD will be recorded on the HDHR.
>>
>> For example, Family Guy is available on both my HD FOX channel via the
>> HDHR and SD via the 250, as it's not flagged as an HD program in the
>> schedulesdirect listing it records on the higher priority 250.
>>
>> Law & Order on the other hand is flagged as HD so it gets recorded on the
>> HDHR.
>>

> Please make sure you read Section 12.6 (at least--preferrably all of
> Section 12) of the HOWTO (
> http://www.mythtv.org/docs/mythtv-HOWTO-12.html#ss12.6 ) before changing
> (especially) input priorities.  Note that changing input priorities does
> /not/ change "where to record" so much as it changes "how much I want to
> record <some program>".  Similarly, setting a "HDTV Recording Priority" can
> say that a lower-priority show that's high-def is better than your favorite
> show in standard def.

Yeah, I understand that, but it's never been an issue for me.  Conflicts are
extremely rare with 4 tuners covering the major networks, cable is only
covered by two but most cable shows have multiple airings.

Mainly the biggest issue is in the cases where there are three potential HD
shows to record, the only instance I have of that is House, Heroes and How I
Met Your Mother.  As all three are HD they all have the same base priority
and then the individual show priority is used to determine which one gets
recorded in SD (in my case it's How I Met Your Mother with the lowest
priority).