[mythtv-users] [RFC] Proposed settings rework

nospam312 nospam312 at gmail.com
Wed Nov 4 20:19:33 UTC 2009

> Please feel free to peruse and comment on the list.  Sometimes I note
> why a setting is a bad idea, or what the default behavior ought to be.
>  A word of caution:  Please keep the discussion civil.  Sometimes,

If the option breaks something or does not work it should be removed.

How about having a setup/wizard screen when you first install asking
how the user want to use Myth?

Welcome to MythTV blah blah blah.

1. I do not need any advanced features (this is the one I would choose
- it would disable jobs, commercial detection etc)
2. I need commercial detection
3. I need commercial detection and jobs
4. etc

Obviously this menu needs to be worked on - perhaps checkboxes asking
user how they will be using the machine would be better.  It could
even perhaps become a wizard type environment where the next stage
would ask the user to setup tuners and then finally some of the most
common less technical options that people would change.  All other
(advanced) settings would be still be available but not in the initial
wizard setup phase?

You generally only install MythTV once.  If an option you want is not
enabled by default (or is disabled by default) just choose the best
option from the menu above and adjust your settings accordingly.

I do not think there will be a solution suitable for everyone but if
the number of options visible to a NEW user could be reduced I think
that is the key - the aim is to get a NEW user up and running as
quickly as possible?

Hope this helps.