[mythtv-users] iPlayer on Freesat - MHEG 5

Nick Rout nick.rout at gmail.com
Thu Nov 5 03:25:51 UTC 2009

On Thu, Nov 5, 2009 at 3:03 AM, Another Sillyname
<anothersname at googlemail.com> wrote:
> 2009/11/4 Ben Lancaster <mail at benlancaster.co.uk>:
>> This just popped up in my RSS Reader from The Register:
>>
>> "The BBC's iPlayer will be coming to Freesat later this month, finally
>> giving free-to-air satellite television set-top boxes' Ethernet ports
>> something to do."
>> (http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2009/11/04/bbc_iplayer_on_freesat/)
>>
>> Anyone know if MythTV's MHEG implementation will handle this?
>>

> How's this going to work?
>
> The feed won't be coming off the satellite surely, how could your
> connection to the satellite be selective?

RTFA :-) it says:

"The Freesat-friendly version of iPlayer uses the MHEG 5 interactive
TV standard to select and present internet-sourced iPlayer video
streams."

So the menus for selecting programmes to watch comes off the
satellite, the stream itself comes off the internet.